Thursday, October 30, 2014

Mama says...

Mama says,
talking to dad,
They are telling us to go back to where we came from.
...
As if we didn't leave "our countries" so many moons ago to come and settle here.
...
To make this place our "new" home.
...
Mama says,
There is no place to go back to.
This is our home.
...
She looks at me with more worry in her eyes that I ever want to see and says,
...
You be careful baby girl.
You make sure you are aware of your surroundings.
You make sure you are not alone.
You make sure to keep your phone with you.
And most of all,
You make sure to keep your hot head in check.
You make sure you do not engage in your usual "human rights debates".
...
And I look down at my hands.
With tears in my eyes.
And then I fix my hijab.
And think,
About all those people who think Islamophobia doesn't exist.
...
Because for me this is my only home.
...
But for me Islamophobia is a daily thing I face.
In one way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment